Thursday, October 22, 2009

The hidden rules of poverty, middle class and wealth - Ruby Payne Ph. D.

The hidden rules of class shape our behavior, impact our relationships, and create endless opportunities to offend or miss the mark when relating to others.

This is a frequent conversation at my house based on the rules of "time management" and the "Driving Forces" that influence our choices. With apologies to my hubby (not an actual conversation, but you see the main concepts).

Hubby and I sharing a day off - Vacation time to enjoy together. :)

Me: I need your help cleaning the car, cleaning the house, running errands and then we will find something fun to do.

Hubby: Why don't you just relax?

Me: Why don't you take the needs of our household seriously?

Hubby (getting irritated): I work hard all day, I just want to relax!

Me (also irritated): Fine, then who is going to get all of this done?

Hubby (done talking): ugh....

When we take vacation time together now - I take a day early to accomplish my list of things to do, so I know our home is running smoothly. Then hubby joins me with a day off to just relax. I hope this explains it somewhat. I want to post information from Rich Church, Poor Church, where I went in depth on some these concepts.

Hidden rules of class table is from "Crossing the Tracks for love" by Ruby Payne, Ph.D

2 comments:

  1. That conversation sounds familiar... somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That class table explains a lot and really speaks to me. I'm kind of speachless after reading it.

    ReplyDelete