Friday, December 17, 2010

Contentment

When I look at this picture, I see possibilities, the adventures yet to begin, and at the same time I see contentment, I hear the rhythm of the surf, and I feel the coolness of the sand. Contentment means peace, satisfaction,  and an ongoing battle between wanting more and accepting where I am in my life. Perhaps that is why contentment is something that so often eludes me. There seems to me a fine line between motivation to change and enjoying where I am in life.

I have completed a semester's worth of work in grad school. I am well into the process of learning about Marriage and Family Therapy. Yet it seems a blink of time and it will be done. I will be onto the next phase of my life. At the same time life does not stop. My husband and I still face challenges, still have to remember to work together and still get overwhelmed with trying to juggle each area of responsibility.


Then we come to Christmas....the time of year where reflection and busyness collide. This year my husband and I have spent more time together, more time just enjoying being around each other, and more time talking about our interests. I think of all the time I could be out searching for the perfect gifts, spending money, and adding to the stress in my life. Instead I find myself thinking about the special moments of this year shared with my husband, family and extended family. And the joy of meeting more of husband's extended family and how blessed we are to have them in our lives. This year I want more contentment....more peace.....more joy....more memories that will hold me through the tough times in life. I have enough stuff. I can always buy something bigger, better or faster. I realize now what a blessed woman I am, my life is full of precious, wonderful friends and family. So in the coming year I want more of the same, more joy, more memories. I want more hugs from my husband, more shared laughter and fun with our families, all of them,  and more time with good friends to share the stories, and a baby would be nice too. In the meantime, whether I receive what I want or not, I will remember "every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change" James 1:17. Because the Father is the one who cares for me and has given me everything I have, whatever  I have is enough. I am content.

No comments:

Post a Comment