Sunday, November 21, 2010

Creating a Team Environment


I try to leave more time between blog posts - just because it seems awfully presumptuous of me to write another blog so soon and expect someone to read it. However, I have a big project due for school in the next 14 days, and all my brain waves will be focused on creating the completed outcome I desire. All of these thoughts I have going through my mind about teamwork will dissolve, and I will think back on it saying to myself "now what were those thoughts I had about teamwork?"  So this is my attempt to jot them down in a way that might be helpful.


When I think of teamwork there are of course the images of team sports that come to mind like football and soccer and basketball and hockey. The team there is essential in scoring points and winning a game. However, I have noticed that teams will spend an awful lot of money in order to secure one or two amazingly talented players that will help carry the team to victory. I realized that when I think of relational teamwork it is far more complex then someone coming up with a plan, and a group of people executing the plan. Relational teamwork is far more dynamic, full of more possibilities and the satisfaction of creating something beautiful together filling the individuals involved with a greater depth of understanding of other people. The gratification sublime and the motivation to try something else"impossible" almost impossible itself to resist.

The image that came to mind then were those of Trapeze Artists. A group of highly trained, creative, motivated and physically and emotionally strong individuals. Why emotionally strong? Because I, personally, have never been able to overcome my fear of heights long enough to swing from a barn rope, let alone swing through the air at that high an altitude. The other part of that resonated so strongly with me is that while they have trainers and coaches and choreographers that make sure they are emotionally and physically prepared with an entertaining routine, if you have ever watched a routine the coaches are pacing the sidelines hoping they pull of the routine. No one is there yelling "Ok, you need to let go. Let your partner grab your hands and let go of the bar you are holding onto." Directions that precise would completely interfere with the relationship between the Trapeze Artists and most likely cause a grave injury. I find it interesting how often a "team" is described as a group of people completing tasks for another person. I find it amusing when it is a group of highly educated, professional individuals who are regulated to following the directions of another person. A complete waste of resources.  

My description of teamwork then is a creative process involving the thoughts, comments and ideas of each person on the team. If a Trapeze Artist is unable to complete part of the routine they won't force the person to complete it because it will put the entire team at risk. Instead adjustments can be made that might include that individuals strengths. There by also keeping the rest of their team safe as well. It also involves trust. Can you imagine letting go of a bar high in the air to be caught by another member of the team precisely when you need to be caught? The only way that is going to happen is if there is trust between the team members.

Here are my steps to teamwork:

1. Communicate the beginning and end points - share with the team where you see it currently and where you would like be be at the end of the process. The process in the middle is just that the process. As long as you get to the desired outcome (in a legal, ethical, moral manner) the details do not need to be micro-managed.
2. Identify the strengths of other people in the team and ask how they see themselves best involved. Offer suggestions. I always do - sharing my observations of another person's strengths and then suggesting how those strengths could benefit the team. It starts the "idea ball" rolling.
3. Allow the other person (s) to develop their own idea - it's one less thing for me to have to worry about.
4. Change the plan - when the ideas start flowing, the plans start changing. Because I have one perspective - the additional  insights consistently make a plan better.
5. Trust your teammates - when something in the plans change its not personal. It often involves logistics, or not being a perfect fit with someone's strengths. Unless you want to end up with all the work - take a deep breath. Remember its the goal at the end that is the focus of the team.


I think that teamwork is a beautiful thing to watch. In my mind its similar to watching "Trapeze Artistis" I am sometimes terrified, sometimes amazed at how they managed to pull off a set of tricks, and always inspired. Because a group of people creative, committed and motivated to reaching a goal can accomplish just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment