Sunday, June 6, 2010

You mean all of them?

Last night I watched part of "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding." Oh, how I had forgotten so much in that movie, and I don't think I have seen it since I married in 2006. The main character "Tula" is from a greek family, and she has 27 1st cousins. She marries "Ian" an only child. I laughed so hard. Mostly from identifying the challenges of being an only child, marrying into a nosy, noisy, and  highly involved in each others lives family. I don't have 27 first cousins, but I think that the family I have make up for it in opinions and personality. :)  At times I wasn't sure if my hubby would "sink" in the craziness of it all, or "swim" along with the flow of all the family around us. This also didn't count the many families that my family has been close with all of my life 25+ years, or just a good portion of my life 8-15+ years, and seem like family. When I thought of my previous post on taking your your spouse's support system as your own,  when you marry them, these are some of the challenges that come along with it.

It isn't comfortable, and can be painful sometimes. Each family has different traditions and weaving them together to create meaning in a new family, may seem more like "trial and error." But use those opportunities to learn more about what the other person prefers. Show your spouse how to interact with each of your family members. Practice and rehearse how to say it, when to say it. Your familiarity with your support system will be important in helping your spouse manage offenses and hurt feelings.

Conflict is often a part of the equation as you decide on how to interact with family and friends.
It can be helpful to observe you partner's coping skills - my hubby and I discovered that he was too forceful and inflexible, and I was too mild and easy-going. It takes a balance of those skills to keep a healthy couple, but also maintain a support system.

I have enjoyed introducing my hubby into my large group of friends and family, who have been very supportive of our marriage and life together (although not always each of our decisions). So when the pastor/priest asks do you take your bride/groom? Just remember they come with all of their support system, the obnoxious, loud, loving, caring, opinionated group and that is what makes them so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment