Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pass Me Not



I have just gone through more change in the lasts four months than I thought was possible, from moving to a new home, to several job changes and more. I will freely admit to one emotional break down several months ago due to all of the uncertainty in my life. The question I always have in regards to change whether positive or negative, is what will the financial impact look like. Will we be able to maintain our home, vehicles and provide for our child? Those questions are always forefront in my mind. The answer quickly became evident; while it would be tough to do so financially, by making some adjustments (i.e cuts) to the budget we would be ok. Then this week came, the low point of the summer, completely expected, but I was very cautious nonetheless. I had everything budgeted out exactly, including a trip to the grocery store. Late in the afternoon, earlier this week, I was able to work the errand into my schedule. With the budgeted money in my pocket, I pulled into the grocery store parking lot. Only, the money was no longer in my pocket. In the moments that followed I could only think of the story of "The Borrowed Axe" from My Bible Friends. When a borrowed axe head is missing, the student cries out "alas master, for it was borrowed." The thoughts going through my head were, "alas master, it's our grocery money." Through perseverance and prayer, I was able to find the missing money. In the process of searching and finding, I was reminded that even though I am in a state of waiting in a very important area of my life, G-d is aware of my needs and is making His presence known in my life in very meaningful ways.



I find it easy to get caught up in a game of comparisions with other people in my life. I have been working very hard to pray for G-d's blessing in other's lives. To recognize scarcity does not exist in relation to G-d's blessing, and the blessings someone else receives does not diminish or take away blessings from me. When G-d is involved, there is only abundance (Luke 6:38).

Recently in my spiritual journey,  my prayer is often the hymn Pass Me Not O Gentle Savior (Fernando Ortega). If you have a prayer, longing, or intense need, please join me in this prayer. I believe when we seek, we will find. And if we ask, we will receive (Matthew 7:7).


Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior, By Fannie J. Crosby
  1. Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
    Hear my humble cry;
    While on others Thou art calling,
    Do not pass me by.
    • Refrain:
      Savior, Savior,
      Hear my humble cry,
      While on others Thou art calling,
      Do not pass me by.
  2. Let me at Thy throne of mercy
    Find a sweet relief;
    Kneeling there in deep contrition,
    Help my unbelief.
  3. Trusting only in Thy merit,
    Would I seek Thy face;
    Heal my wounded, broken spirit,
    Save me by Thy grace.
  4. Thou the spring of all my comfort,
    More than life to me,
    Whom have I on earth beside Thee,
    Whom in Heav’n but Thee.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like things have been tough lately! Having a small child at home makes it more intensely emotional, I find. I'm glad you found your grocery money. I would have probably sat down and had a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think having a small child makes me feel all the more powerless. I used to be able to "fix" things, no matter the issue. Now we get to learn new skills. Fortunately the whole incident lasted about 20 minutes. Any longer than that and I probably would have had a good cry as well.

    ReplyDelete