Sunday, March 9, 2014

Once Upon a Tragedy...

I have shared before my struggles as a young adult, in a damaged support system, in need of care and support myself. The time in my life when the seed of "Spheres of Grace" was planted. However, I don't know that I have ever shared this story. The circumstances that brought Spheres of Grace into fruition. The details have been changed, the narrative thread is consistent with what happened.


Once upon a time, many, many years ago there was a tragedy... A break your heart, change your life, tear-a-part your relationships, lose your job, lose your home, question the nature of humanity kind of tragedy. The family involved needed help. They needed help yesterday. Did you know that government assistance takes 30-120 days, at a minimum, to take effect? I didn't. I do now. I called every agency I could think of. I turned in many applications requesting assistance. Every response I received, if I received one was...wait. Wait your turn, there are people ahead of you. In your personal experience, you may have noticed most individuals and families in crisis need help now.

I had never asked people for money before. I didn't know where to begin. So I started calling faith based organizations and churches. I called a lot of places. The answers I received included "you can access our food pantry and clothes closet. We don't provide cash," and "you will need to send in an application to our community benevolence fund, including financial information." I get this. Believe, me I get this. It's hard to share your resources and not feel taken advantage of financially. So limits are set in place. I understand. Some people though, are in such emotional, physical and financial need the limits we set in place prevent us from meeting them where they are, in crisis.

And then there was my last call...


The answer I received was "how much money is needed?"

And the total amount was given. A no strings attached, blessing! (Seriously! No strings attached!)

A surprise your heart, restore your faith, and renew your belief in the nature of humanity kind of answer.

The experience changed my life!

And so began a no strings attached, help people in stressful situations, support individuals and families in our community, blessing ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment