Saturday, May 4, 2013

My Child is my Mirror






My child is my mirror - the evidence of how I think about myself, other people and my child. Every word spoken, emotional response and actions I take regarding myself, my husband and my child is evident in my child's behaviors. 

My first child has challenged my abilities to mother in the gentlest, kindest and most patient manner I always imagined myself parenting. My child has difficulty sleeping through the night. My child struggles at times to even go to sleep. These moments are when my impatience and irritation are more likely to be present in our relationship. The moments my child needs me the most. These moments are incredibly important ones to be gentle, kind and patient, because those are the qualities I want my child to have in difficult times. 


I am my parent's mirror, the evidence of their relationship with each other, myself, my siblings and other people. As a little one, my child does not have any power in order to change my response. As the parent, I hold the power, and my child's behaviors are the reflection of how I have used my power. However, as an adult child, regardless of how my parent's have wielded their power, I do have a say in what I reflect back in my relationship with my parents. I can choose my responses to their actions. It is never too late to model the qualities that you value, in your most precious and beloved relationships.

You are your parent's mirror. Your child is your mirror. What do you see? 

2 comments:

  1. Nature factors in, too. I've struggled with my son's sleeping habits for literally years. It turns out, he's exactly like his father. They both have bodies that just won't cooperate with the family schedule on a regular basis. You're a great mom! Don't worry too much when things don't go quite the way you want them to. I'm convinced that "rolling with it" is also a good lesson for kids to learn from us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is very much like his daddy too. lol.

    ReplyDelete