Saturday, October 16, 2010

Seasons...



I enjoy being in school again. I love the intellectual stimulation, even if it comes from having to figure out my own beliefs based on the topic at hand. As a child I was taught that taking an authority figures opinion as my own was poor use of my brain. Being in school though has also challenged some of my own assumptions.  Such as, "what is broken, may be made new again," especially in terms of relationships. As I began the process of school and learning to become a Marriage and Family Therapist, I have realized, all that is broken, does not need to be made new again. There is a lot of freedom in that thought. Some relationships are just meant for a "season" of life. Not all are meant to be long-term and on-going. This is a significant area of increased flexibility for me.  As you take those relationships to God in prayer, like I will be doing as well, look for the ways that you have to resolve the pasts hurts, insults, or unrealistic expectations. It may include a final conversation, email or letter with the person you were hoping to resolve things with, identifying the areas unresolved, and then move forward in faith. It also may be that everything that can be said, was already said.  The "season" of life that the other person joined with you, will be used, like all things in our lives for God's Glory, as long as we believe and allow Him to lead. Not all relationships are maintainable on this earth. Some are meant just for a season... 


There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment