Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Problem with Evangelism

This is meant to be a companion piece to the following blog:
http://spheresofgrace.blogspot.com/2010/05/broken-hearts.html

In the Adventist church, there is a pattern of using large evangelistic meetings in order to win people to Christ and the Adventist church. Its a style of evangelism that began in the early to mid 20th century, and the Adventist church has not changed the style of large outreach programs since then. Here is my main issue with this style of evangelism - in a matter of months an individual, couple or family, is expected to change their belief system, and take on the doctrines of the Adventist church. Having been raised an Adventist, this isn't an issue for me, because I am already familiar. However, this is a significant issue for people in my community, especially a state like Iowa where families are often connected emotionally, through their shared spiritual identity. If ven one individual, couple or family changing their belief system, it will change the way a family interacts, especially since Adventism changes the way one even organizes their week. This change can have a huge impact on an extended family system, including causing harm to the family system.

I realize that when the spiritual conviction overwhelms a person, that in order to follow his will completely, it may come at a cost. Luke 12:51 says "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, but division."  I, however, am completely at peace with leaving that kind of conviction, that will change an entire family system, to the Holy Spirit.  For me, once again I "believe it will take a generation of caring (individually and as a church body) about an individual, their accomplishments and their relationships, before they will consider taking the steps of belief, and establishing a relationship with Christ", and someday it might also include being a part of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment