Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Daily Renewal


10 years ago when I was working on my undergraduate degree in psychology, I first came across the theory of attachment. From my studies then I mostly remember the "stranger incident" studies completed by Mary Ainsworth. I remember thinking "if I ever go into clinical psychology, I want to study attachment theory." Fast word 10 years, and it is amazing to see the changes that have occurred in the use of attachment theory. I am researching as much as I can - and it still doesn't seem to help me completely understand the complexity of the attachment. Here is the short version:

1.  I have learned that attachment is so powerful, it changes both parties - no matter who initiates the attachment. It is one of the only interactions I have encountered that is mutually beneficial, and creates mutual change in both individuals, and only one person has to initiate the change. This is powerful stuff!!

2. Attachment creates more attachment. It becomes a source of renewal everyday creating stronger, more gratifying relationships. (Gratifying = giving pleasure or satisfaction. www.dictionary.com)

3. Therefore it is important to engage in attachment behaviors with a specific group of people. Your spouse, your children, foster children, nieces and nephews, and your grandchildren (and further generations). Truly beyond that caution is necessary, and interactions with children outside the family need to promote/benefit/encourage the attachment of that child's primary care-givers.

No comments:

Post a Comment