Friday, February 12, 2010

Before I met my love....

When you don't have a "valentine" of your own - the Valentine's holiday can be a rather depressing day. A day filled with how come so and so has someone and I don't, or even a private pity party held on your own behalf. For a long time, about 5 years, I didn't know whether I would ever have someone to call "my love." They were busy years, full of education, developing my career and beginning professional and personal relationships that I treasure to this day. However, I find myself disappointed in how I managed my own emotions regarding the holiday of love.

Here is what I would do if I had a chance for a do-over:

Babysit my friends or family members children for the holiday (yes, even if that means they get a romantic date). Children are tons of fun, especially when they belong to someone else.

Take my parents out to dinner. They were and are my first loves, and I wish I had recognized that more when I was younger.

Make a scrapbook or video for my Grandma. I think she would have enjoyed being even more a part of my/our life.

Spent the day fasting. Fasting is still seen as one of the ways to show absolute submission to God and a beautiful way to spend a holiday about love.

It can be easy to get caught up in what I do or don't have. I remember the snide comments of those who married much younger than I and how being married had somehow made them a complete person, something I clearly was not since I clearly could not get married. Don't believe that nonsense... Who you are before you marry, is who you are after you marry, only that much more intense because you are trying to join two different lives. It is by only the grace of God, (and a strong commitment to marriage) that marriage is possible (and a good therapist on stand-by is also helpful).

Happy Valentine's Day <3

No comments:

Post a Comment