Tuesday, January 26, 2010

That's Not what the Bible Says....




I enjoy reading to children.... It is so much fun to connect to an "old friend" and sharing the book with children, is a way to experience the book in a new way again. I heard my Mom (over the phone) reading "Too Many Mittens" to my niece and nephews. It is also a fun way to remember being read to by my Mom, their Grandma. Great Memories.....

A portion of my time at work is spent helping families connect to community resources. A family without the necessary resources to survive and/or cope with stress loses hope, and sinks in to mental illness, dependency (learned helplessness) and destructive behavior (including violence, substance/alcohol abuse, and gambling). It is crucial to find the support systems necessary to help carry a family through a painful time. One of the first steps I take each time is to call churches that are closest to the family in proximity. I then offer them the opportunity to help a family - if the family is willing to make the connection after I have found out the level of willingness a church family expresses.  Unfortunately, I don't get to share good news with the family very often. I accept the rejection without telling the family, and move onto the next opportunity within the community to help them.

This is what I am thinking though, like the children's book "Hey, That's Not what the Bible Says" (Bill Ross). Its an interpretation that isn't necessarily accurate... 

"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’" Matthew 25:34-


I don't think He said, "only if they attend church every week" or "only if they deserve the help" or "only if it will be of benefit to your congregation" or "Only if they don't take advantage of the help." He Said " You saw a need, and you met the need, and in doing this service for them, you did it for Me too."


I understand the concern - there is so much need and so many people who would take advantage of it. But it is part of being a Christian that sometimes I carry more of the burden than maybe is fair, because someone else cannot, and I carry that cross as an example of what Christ did for me.... and those who are lost, hurting and in need. 


Listed below are the resources each person and/or family need to keep in balance to stay emotionally balanced:

Internal and External Resources (Bridges out of Poverty Ruby Payne Ph.D)


Financial
Emotional - the most significant of all resources - when in balance keeps from returning to destructive behavior. 
Mental 
Spiritual
Physical
Support Systems
Relationships/Role Models
Knowledge of Hidden Rules
Coping Strategies

1 comment:

  1. This is something I find rather frustrating as well... when we get "burned" we're so quick to take it personally and not realize that we are acting on Someone else's behalf.

    ReplyDelete