Friday, April 27, 2012

Flirting with being controlling


I recently flirted with becoming controlling. To control is defined as "to exercise restraint or direction over; dominate;command" as found on dictionary.com. Let me give you some background information first. Far too many times I have observed mothers give up on basic hygiene for their children. It bothers me. Therefore as the nurse in the hospital taught me how to wash my newborn son I listened intently. Helpful in this whole process is that my son hates to sit in a wet or dirty diaper. They must be changed quickly or a meltdown ensues in a short matter of time. So enough of the background....here is what happened....

My sister came to help me with baby care one afternoon. I had a messy house, still in my work around the house clothes, and I needed to get ready for a professional meeting. My son also needed a bath. I asked my sister to give him a bath which she agreed to do. My sister proceeded to run the water and start bathing my son. I then stood over her shoulder and told her exactly what she needed to do to clean my son properly. His eyelids are gently cleaned first. Then nails on the hands and feet must be scrubbed. Baby rolls must be cleaned out because they are collectors of dirt. The scalp requires special attention to prevent dry skin and cradle cap. The ears are checked for dirt on the outer portion of the ear. Once completed then the child is covered in various lotions and oils to help protect his skin. Never mind I had a long list to accomplish already and she was helping me by giving him a bath. Never mind that I learn a lot from my sister on how to take care of a baby, infant, toddler, etc. For some emotional reason I simply could not let go of the process I use to bathe my son and insisted my sister follow the same method. I did exactly what I dislike so much about people who attempt to control others; I dominated the process and kept everyone from learning and growing. In fact I   did what I dislike the most - I dominated a very wise and experienced woman who had the opportunity to teach me how to better care for my son because she had a more objective point of view. ughhh. This is why I prefer a collaborative approach to life and I think I learned my lesson. No more flirting with controlling behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment