Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spheres of Grace - touching the people in our lives with grace.

Before I married, I remember lots of times when I would say to God, "I just need to know you care about me, and it would really help if it came from someone with skin." From those moments of needing grace myself, I came to see that there are often other people in my life that I can show grace to and be Grace in their life, even if just for a moment.

(Kindness):This knowledge led me to try being open with more people around me, and looking for opportunities to show kindness to those I meet. I am naturally a quiet, shy, reserved individual with new people, so I am not naturally drawn to extroverted introductions and conversations with people I don't know. However, I could smile, say "Hi" and acknowledge someone and chat a little about how beautiful the day is, and in the process make a positive connection with another person.

(Dialogue): With this openness with strangers and people I don't know as well. I realized that not everyone I care about is going to have the same worldview, religious beliefs, or even personal style of interacting with others. Sometimes I might be offended, sometimes I might want to cheer another person on as discussions take place, however the discussion, the dialogue is what draws us closer to each other and to God.
"Friendship exhibits a glorious 'nearness by resemblance' to Heaven itself, where the very multitude of the blessed (which no man can number) increases the fruition which each has of God. For every soul, seeing Him in her own way, doubtless communicates that vision to all the rest." C.S. Lewis The Four Loves pg 62


(Growth): By far the most intense and challenging of all steps is where our very beliefs are challenged as people who drawn together in friendship start to confront and challenge others. Everything is on the table, beliefs, behaviors and perhaps even personal interactions, choices, lifestyle decisions creating a sense of humbleness and reliance on Him alone as community is created.

(Sharing Grace): This is a community of believers, seeking to share Grace with each other, their families (always and especially family members) and sharing true joy in worship.

1 comment: